Re: apisto books

Ken,

I recommend 3 different books for dwarf cichlidophiles:

#1 Römer's Cichlid Atlas - Although this book is a bit old now (It was
originally published in 1998), it is still the most comprehensive book on dwarf
cichlids in English. Most of the information is valid, although there are some
questions about some of the identifications. This would be the first book I
would buy.

#2 Aqualog's Southamerican Cichlids II - Ignore the identifications. They are
terrible! It doesn't provide much information on the fish either. It has one big
plus - it has a lot of photos and the publisher updates it frequently. You can
use this is a book with the Apisto List for ID help. Simply write, "I have a
fish that looks like the fish S0xxxxxx on page xx of SACII ....", and someone
will be able to ID your fish.

#3 Koslowski's Die Buntbarsche Amerikas, Band 2: Apistogramma & Co. - This is
for those who want accurate IDs & information on distribution & habitats of the
various species/forms of Apistogramma & Mikrogeophagus. It is more of a science
book, but with over 200 species/form/color populations it will help you ID most
of your apistos. It was published in 2002 so it has most of the apistos in it.
Those interested in other genera of dwarf cichlids (except Crenicichla &
Teleocichla), well they can be found in Stawikowski & Werner's Die Buntbarsche
Amerikas, Band 1. Unfortunately they are only published in German.

The rest of the d.c. books out there I would consider secondary in value, having
some biotope data that isn't found in other books.

Mike Wise