Erick Jones' Unknown Apisto

I hope you members don't mind if I use this
mailing list for an email reply to Erick Jones. He
sent me a photo for me to identify. Unfortunately
the email address he gave must be wrong since it
has been bounced back to me twice this week.

Mike Wise

"Erick and Vielka@nospam.com" wrote:

> Mike
> Recently I purchased a pair of Apistogramma out
of a tank full of Apisto's
> in a lfs. They had paired up and were spawning.
There were by my estimate at
> least 3 different species in the tank the only
Identifiable, by me, were the
> male A. Uapisi. I have brought them home given
them a 15 by themselves and
> they have spawned repeatedly. Before I release
any fry I would like to be
> able to ID them and was hoping you would be able
to assist. I have a
> mediocre photo that I have attached as a zip
file. I do appreciate your
> assistance.
>
> Erick Jones

>                          Name: Unknown
Apisto.zip
>    Unknown Apisto.zip    Type: NetZIP File
(application/x-zip-compressed)
>                      Encoding: base64

Erick

The picture is a bit fuzzy, but it looks like a
mature male A. cf. eunotus
(Orangeschwanz/Orange-tail) to me.  This is the
"A. eunotus" now being sold in
the hobby. It hales from the lower Rio Ucayali of
Peru. It isn't found with A.
uaupesi in the wild. They were probably mixed
later. The only other species it
could be is A. gossei, but I don't see any
abdominal stripes, which gossei has.

Mike

get help, email
apisto-request@listbox.com.