Re: Apistos in the South!

Hi!

have been in contact for about a year now, with a guy, Felipe, who is living in Uruguay and who is regulary catching and exporting fishes from Uruguay to US and Europe. Most of the exported species are Gymnogeophagus and catfishes.

He told me that he have collected A.Commbrae near the towns Artigas and Salto in northern Uruguay! This is a river which connects to the Rio Uruguay. He also reported that there´s indications of two other apistospecies found near the northern border to Brazil. He promised to investigate by talking to some of he´s friends that had caught fishes in that area. I´m hoping now for the possibility to get some Apistos from him in the future.

Felipe wrote in Dec. 2002 (translated from swedish)

"Recently I had a visitor from an Italian aquarist which attended one of my guided tours for twelve days. After that I was visited by four americans who had been here two times before.
Together we catched Ap. Commbrae near Salto. They were surprised to find these fishes so far south. They also commented that the commbraes were more colourful than other commbraes they had seen."