Re: OT- Crystal red tetra

Tomoko,

I'm not absolutely positive, but it looks like Axelrodia riesei to me. This species was originally discovered in the upper Rio Meta of Colombia. I've never seen it before, but the books say it is a bit touchy; needs soft & acid water to survive for any length of time. It is a peaceful schooling fish about the size of a Neon Tetra. I believe that this is the fish that exporters have been trying to get out of the wild for almost 20 years, but they simply die of shock once netted out of water. They lose their red color unless the water is soft, acid, & the lighting is subdued. Seems like a perfect dither fish for checkerboard cichlids & small blackwater apistos.

Mike Wise

Mike Wise

Tomoko Schum wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for a type of characin shipped to Japan with
the invoice name "Crystal red tetra".  Here's the picture:
http://www.aquajapan.com/encyc/characin/characidae/sp/sp0024_e.html

Does anyone know the common name this fish goes by in the
US?  They look so pretty in ADA's pictures.

Tomoko