Re: Apisto Martini

Yep, no luck by me either. Reported successes are rare. Very soft & acid (~pH 5) are needed. Most successes occurred in very large tanks with 6 or more specimens. It seems that they are very picky about who they select as a mate and the sexes can be hard to tell apart. Males tend to kill unacceptable females (and competing males) if the tank is too small or it doesn't have adequate hiding places. Once you have a harmonious pair they will try to wipe out the other conspecifics (if the tank is too small) and start pumping out fry - if the water conditions are right. If you are really interested in breeding this species, then it might be best to start with a 55 gallon tank with lots of hiding places. Then add about 12 young fish & let nature run its course. Otherwise pray that you luck into a compatible pair. Good luck.

Mike Wise

John Wubbolt wrote:

Good luck George

I had them... nice little group of them too.... but they seemed to be very stubborn spawners, never ever going thru with
spawning itself, even though I would see females look ready to spawn,
court males but never actually spawn. I eventually gave up on
them......

John