Re: only male fry

Lee,

What an interesting idea! It's one that Römer never tried. It would make an interesting experiment, especially if done at different temperature/pH values. One could even put part of a spawn in pairs and part in larger groups. In this way we can compare the differences environments make. Anyone willing to give it a try?

Mike Wise

LeeH920226@aol.com wrote:

There is clear evidence in killifish that the odds for getting pairs (one female and one male) are dramatically increased if the fry are raised in pairs from the first or second day. It might work with Apistogramma species. This is obviously not what occurs in nature, but it is at least something we can control. By the time the fish are dimorphic, their sex is pretty much locked.

Lee Harper
Media, PA