RE: Sex change in Apistos???

As far as I know, Apistos do not use chromosomes for sex determination.  Sex is determined by temperature, which is thought to influence the levels of sex-determining hormones.  The evolution of sex chromosomes is related to internal gestation (ie live-birthing), so all placental mammals and some reptiles.  I'm not sure how fish like Gambusia achieve their sex ratios, but it may have to do with them being unable to regulate their body temperature like live-bearing reptiles can, so they too are at the mercy of the water temperature.

As someone else mentioned, sex changing at maturity is not an uncommon phenomena in fish, especially saltwater fish.

Steve