Re: Peat....

Tracie> Do you use anything else to treat your water other than
Tracie> the peat? I have never tried to change the levels in my
Tracie> tanks..so I a little leary. Also, will adding the peat
Tracie> drop the PH too dramatically? My PH is currently running
Tracie> about 7.6 & I don't want to shock any of the fish in the
Tracie> tank.

I soften my local very hard alkaline water with a reverse osmosis unit,
then add back a little tap water to give it some body. I occasionally try
peat filtration to induce an Apisto to breed, but haven't had consistent
results from its use. I have a few tanks which I keep fairly acid --
about 6.0 -- by using acid buffer from SeaChem. It's a good product. I
initially got it because it contains no phosphates, unlike most other
buffers (Kent also makes a phosphate-free buffer). Excess phosphates
promote algae growth.

My treated water is very soft, and acidifying it can cause dramatic pH
bounces because it has negligible buffering capacity. I have tanks that
dropped below a pH of 4 when I was a bit liberal with acidifier.
Fortunately Apistos seem pretty pH resilient, but rapid pH changes are
not a good idea, and pH values below 4 aren't recommended for any living
fish. I acidify verrry carefully now, and my pH rarely drops below 5.5. I
keep most tanks between 6.5 and 7.

Tracie> I like some of the larger cichlids, but like to have
Tracie> a lot of small fish rather than a few large fish. (Though
Tracie> I did break down and buy a baby severum...he's still
Tracie> playing nice..but he is only the size of a silver dollar
Tracie> now!)

Large cichlids are beautiful and many have personalities, but I have
generally small tanks and generally dwarf cichlids. I like the variety.
The dwarfs also cooperate with planted tanks. I do have some beautiful
large Geophagus which a friend is boarding with me while he moves from
here and gets settled in a new plase.

Tracie> My other (smaller) tank is primarily gouramis and
Tracie> tetras. Actually, I just recently bred a pair of my
Tracie> honey dwarf gouramis.....my first venture into breeding.
Tracie> (Still waiting for the babies to get big enough to move
Tracie> out of the breeding tank.....I want to try again with
Tracie> something else now!!)

Breeding is a thrill. I haven't bred much of anything other than
livebearers and a number of dwarf cichlid types, but I'd like to breed
some other fish sometime, too. Gouramis, Corydoras, Loricariads and some
of the pretty tetras: rummynose, in particular. I did just bred some
beautiful long-finned white clouds. The babies are colored like neon
tetras.

     If wishes were fishes we'd all have ponds.

Pete Johnson        San Jose, CA       petej@tlg.net