Re: A. Pandorini enroute

>I have three pair of A. Pandorini coming in Monday and have very
>alkaline water. I know these guys require soft water with a low pH.
>So what would be the least traumatic approach...

Lucky you!

I would suggest setting up a tank of soft water with at least slightly
acid pH (R/O with trace elements and pH adjustment). When you get them,
add Amquel or any other good ammonia remover to their bags of water to
remove ammonia. If they are shipped in acid water, the ammonia becomes
ammonium and if you move them to water above pH 6.8 it dramatically
reverts to ammonia, which can burn their gills.

Drip water from their tank into their shipping bags, allowing about an
hour to double the volume in the shipping bag. Then transfer them to the
tank. Apistos are pretty abused in the shipping process and have already
probably been bounced through diverse water conditions. In my experience,
they're pretty resilient regrading pH and hardness changes as long as the
water is clean.

Over time, adjust the pH in their tank to 6.0 or lower -- you can go
below 5 with these fish. Keeping the pH around 6 and a temperature of
about 78F will help avoid skewing sex ratios in fry. Sex in Apistos is
determined during the first month and is affected by environment: higher
temperatures will produce more males, higher pH values will favor females.

>My next question is in reference to tank size for maintenance.  From
>questions and readings, I have found that to breed these guys it
>requires a 45 to 60 gal tank.  Initially, I just want to make sure
>they're going to survive with conditioning to follow.  Would a 90 gal
>plant tank safely house six A. Pandorini's along with some Praecox
>rainbows?

That would probably work -- provide lots of hiding places. I haven't kept
A. pandorini, but I have a group of eight A. nijsenni, a similar species,
in a 2' x 4' planted tank and they're pretty happy, although I find
occasional piscicides. Watch carefully for aggression and be prepared to
rescue victims from agressors. I'd set up a spare 10 gallon or two for
this purpose.

Good luck & save some baby pandorinis for me!

     If wishes were fishes we'd all have ponds.

Pete Johnson        San Jose, CA       petej@tlg.net