Flies and eggbound females?

On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, Ray Cone wrote:

> And lastly...really...has anyone had success with a homemade food mix
> for conditioning.  I've tried the fruit flies, chopped earthworms, etc.
> and was wondering if anyone had a recipe for a healthy, homemade
> Apisto-chow that could be made in bulk and frozen.
>
> Thanks in advance for your ideas/opinions, I look forward to the
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Ray Cone
> mcone@concentric.net

Hi all,
	Ray how did your fish go taking the fruit flies?  I just acquired
some from our biology dept. and am in the process of breeding them up to
ahve enough to feed.  I have several apisto's as well as a couple of
breeding pairs of rams and some L. dorsiger.  My rams and the older
dorsiger take food from the surface readily but the younger apistos don't
seem so interested, apart from that they don't take flakes at all, but
from what I've heard that's not uncommon.  So I guess the question is in
your ( or anyone else) experience can I expect my apistos to learn to
come to the surface and eat the flies?
	While I'm on here I had a Nannachromis transvestitus female die
the other day :(.  Yes I know not an apisto nor even a Sth. Am.  but the
question is a general one.  She was in the process of mating and I
believe she became eggbound.  Is this a possibility?  If so is there
anything I could have done or can do in the future to prevent this from
happening.  What are peoples experiences in this area?

Thanks in advance (I hope)

Simon Mann