RE: Apisto protecting bloodworms

I've not seen that one, but I have seen signs of surrogacy.  I have on
occasion had fry in one of those hang-on-the-tank containers that fish
stores use to hold recently caught fish.  I have had female apistos come
up close to the cup near a group of fry, turn on her best yellow
breeding dress, and guard the fry with great energy.  This dispite the
fact that the fry were of a different apisto species than the female,
and the female could see the fry, but not smell or touch them.  I find
this particularly intriguing as I have very bad luck with egg/fry eating
among my Apistos, and normally pull the eggs for artifical rearing.