Re: In the beginning, there were Pandorini's...

On Mon, 16 Sep 1996, Ray Cone wrote:

> Do you feed your adults black worms or tubifex, I'd like to but am
> concerned about parasites.  I minced up some red worms this weekend
> (yummy, pureed red wigglers!) and they gobbled it right up...but this
> may have been out of pure starvation since I didn't feed them the first
> 36 hours.  How do you feel about baby guppies as a food source?  I have
> pikes that I raise guppies for and, of course, have an ample supply of
> little ones.  Back to the fry, have you tried unicellular cultures (i.e.
> paramecium or rotifers)?  Once you have a starter culture, I don't
> believe they're that hard to propagate...assuming your significant other
> doesn't mind microscopic, hairy things near her food in the frig.

I stay away from tubifex.  Period.  For all my fish.  I'd bet the adults
will eat anything that moves, including baby fish.  I would guess
unicellular things would work; I've just had great luck with brine shrimp,
(two hanging inverted 2-liter soda bottles with a little window cut out at
the bottom (now "top"); caps pierced with drip irrigation taps, connected
to airlines; small nightlight in contact with the bottle that is hatching;
airline doubles as drain; 1.5 tbsp salt + 1/2 full water + 1/4 tsp eggs;
restart alternating bottles every 2 days) so I've not had occasion to try
anything more difficult yet for fry.

    - Erik

---
Erik D. Olson					         amazingly, at home
eriko@wrq.com