Re: New to the List -Reply

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, William Vannerson wrote:

> I don't keep any apistos ... yet.  I'll be getting some labidochromus
> ceruleas "electric yellows" for my first cichlid tank.  I'd also like to get a
> few Rams for my community tank, which has several (5) male Killies.
> Wright, you're on both lists, do you think I'd run into any problems with
> this experiment.

I keep killies and dwarf Neotropical cichlids together routinely without
any problems. Now I have F. gardneri and A. nijsseni housed together. I've
kept A. bivattatum with A. borelli, A. bitaeniatum with Laetacara, and
Cynolebias whitei with P. altispinnosa, all without much conflict. The
only problem I ran into was when the Laetacara developed some disease that
also wiped out my A. bitaeniatum. However, killies dumped in with small
African cichlids become hors d'oevres. That's how I cull my killies.

All I have in Apistos and look-alikes right now are a couple of P.
altispinnosa (apparently both males), a female A. nijsseni (male just
wasted away and died this week - sigh!), and a large unidentified female.
I'm just getting back into Apistos and they are hard to find around here.

Donald Nute
Professor and Head, Department of Philosophy        (706) 542-2823
Director, Artificial Intelligence Center            (706) 542-0358
The University of Georgia                       FAX (706) 543-2839
Athens, Georgia  30602, U.S.A       <A HREF="http://ai.uga.edu/faculty/nute">http://ai.uga.edu/faculty/nute</A>