>   are my passion, but I love Pelivcachromis as well.  (TX water is
>  just a little too hard on  Apisto's w/o an ro unit)

Actually, A. standachneri and A. macmasteri I can personally attest do
just fine.  I'm here in Austin and we have water that as at least as
hard as Houstons (most likely more in most cases) and I have not had
any problems.  I have not been able to spawn D. filementosus, even in
acidic conditions because of the hardness.  However, my A. njisseni
spawn with me only adding peat filtered water during each water change.
Really, not a problem with 80-90% of the apistos.

				Cheers,
				Matthew