long community tank

Hullo apisto lovers, It seems the list was "lost".  I wondered why this
list went quiet so suddenly..Many thanks to Frank and all for a great
resource ,hope you've all found your way back.  I must confess I've
been lurking here for months,apistos are like the proverbial hens teeth
here in NZ so reading this list is an exercise in envy management!.
With perseverance some dwarf species can be obtained -I've bred
A.Cacatuoides C.Maronii L.Curviceps and P.Pulcher in the past. Truly
horrible specimens of M.Altispinosa and A.Agassizii are also available
about once a year.  Currently I'm keeping Rams and my prizes 6 juvenile
D.filamentosus. All but two (males) of the checkerboards are too young
to sex but I'm hoping!. I kept some last year but all developed into
males :(. The rams frustrate me-they won't spawn!. I keep 2 pair in a
heavily planted 50 gallon tank along with 8 rummy nose tetras, 8
N.Eques and a pair of A.Hoplogenys.  The tetras,pencils and bushy-noses
have all bred in the tank but not even a hint from the rams. Any
advice?.(pH-6.4, Temp.-27, DH-3, Diet-frozen bloodworm,mosquitoes and
flake).

Now to my real question -I've ordered 2 male 5 fem A.Borelli and am
advised they will be available in about 3 months. Time for a new tank
:). What I aim to set up is a long,narrow tank 8ftx18inx18in. My
thinking here is as follows. To me the real attraction of the dwarves
is their behaviour patterns. To see these best you need a community.
The narrow tank should be easy to partition into territories. Being
short it should be cheap to light for good plant growth. I could
generate a gentle current with relative ease. Here at least glass is
about the least expensive part of any aquaria so I'm wondering why
narrow tanks are uncommon.  Any comments on keeping the borelli's with
my existing fish,with perhaps a small school of cardinals and one of
hatchets?. I want to use my existing tank for grow out.

In the middle of a heat wave.
Toado

============ Reminder: Kindly quote parsimoniously when replying =============