RE: Laetacara bonanza

It is amazing how quickly an area can get saturated with a species if
someone is successful breeding them.  About five years ago, the Western New
York area was swamped with Apistos at the store, because a few of us were
doing well with breeding.  I recall at one time going into the local
favorite and finding cacatuoides, borelli, bitaeniata, rupununi, rotpunct
and a few others NOT selling at a couple bucks a piece.  These were full
size fish, with pairs breeding in the corners of the selling tanks.  Most
of those breeders have moved on, and for the past few years, the demand for
apistos has well outstripped the need.

I think the trick is to look for opportunities outside of your locality to
spread out your surplus.  This allows you to get a better price on your
surplus, as well as moderate the supply/demand pressure in your own
locality.  I have done well with African cichlids this way.  I will locate
people outside of the locality with too many of some species willing to
part with them for a reasonable buck (ie., 2" N. daffodil, leleupi,
cylindricus, etc. for $2-$3).  Now, certainly, this is a low price if you
are the seller, but remember, these guys are glutted in their area, and
can't even give them away.  I'll bring them back to my local and sell them
at a few local stores I am close with, using the extra money to pay for
fish I pick up for myself.  I have good luck getting new and unusual
species (relative to my area) for "free" using this method.  It just takes
a little leg work.

The same can happen for apistos.  Those of you with A viejita and N taenia
coming out your ears need to get together with some of us that are working
on groups of say, cacatuoides, pandurini, etc. and arrange a swap.  As an
example, NO ONE in our area has had L. taenia, and in fact, only those with
Aqualog books probably have even seen a picture.  I would guess that the
first 50-75 coming into the area at sexable size would be worth at  least
$3 - $4 each to the original seller.  We have seen some A viejita, but it
was a less colorful version of colorform I.  A nice, vibrant form,
particularly colorform II would command some decent dollars.

If you are in good with local stores, each could distribute in their areas,
making enough to cover shipping and extra fish as desired.  Of course, it
requires having fish large enough to sell in stores, which means it is
still not for everyone.  But certainly, it is an opportunity for some,
particularly if you are sitting on 50+ of something of sellable size,
that's taking up tank space because everyone in your area has more than
enough.  I welcome anyone who is in this situation and is interested in
exploring the opportunity to let me know, as I am always interested in
finding a win-win deal!

Tom

> My first inclination at reading Pete's outstanding success with Laetecara
was to congratulate him - it is impressive. Reading on, I have to ask how
many of us are in the same boat. I've slowed down or stopped breeding some
desirable fish (N taenia, A veijita ) because I couldn't move them. They're
too rare - no one knows what they are. It's frustrating to raise
Nanochromis and get $1.00 a pair in a club auction.