Re: Laetacara bonanza

Howdy Gary,

>	I was hoping for a bite like that. If US priority mail can get the fish

I'm a sucker for these types of things :-)

> 	What age are the fish you ship, Matthew? How big are the bags and how
> long does the US mail take?

I've shipped 3-4 month old fish to fish that were at least 2 years.  The
sized ranged for 1/4" to 2 1/2" I've shipped in large bags and small bags
depending on the size of the fish.  I prefer to have a large bag, a bit of
water and lots of air.  I always use an insulated box.  The mail mostly
takes 2-3 days, but I've had longer.  I've only had 1 apisto die en route.
It was small and the person didn't tie off the corners.  The small guy got
caught in the corner and its gills pinched shut (common problem for
shipping small fish).

A guy named Wright Huntley has created a very nice list of shipping tips.
He and I have experimented with using Amquel and not.  Actually, I goofed
and didn't send one bag with Amquel, but I put it in the other.  Big
difference.  Ammonia out the ears in the nontreated bag.  In the other the
fish faired fine.  We've "experimented" with other things and each got
a set of things which we follow.  I'm going to go with his newest premise
which is that I use more than ample water.  (he wants me to back down
for shipping $$$ :-)

I'll chat with Wright to see if we can get that list there, or do you
read this list, Wright?

				Cheers,
				Matthew