nannacara taenia

hello all,
	I'm enjoying this renaissance in the apisto list - it's been very
interesting. As well, I like the mix of "old and "new" names.
	I thought I'd offer a breeding report some might find interesting. I'm
finding N taenia as easy as N anomala, if a few tricks are used. First,
they seem to spend a lot of time fighting if kept in groups. Kept as
pairs or trios, their behaviour changes and they calm down. Then, they
seem easy to spawn.
	They like to spawn very close to the surface. I've been setting up
chunks of slate that are 2-3 cm below the surface, in a " I\ " shape,
with a piece leaning on the spawning site, providing an overhang.
They've ignored traditional spawning sites religiously.
	In pH 7.4, 130 ppm tapwater, I'm getting a 90 percent hatch. The fry
are very attractive - an unexpected bonus - with a deep, dark brown
stripe from the nose to the caudal.
	Anyway, for what it's worth, that's how it's been working. I hope that
is useful for anyone else trying this odd little species. They aren't
stunning, but the ability of a male to change his colouration almost
completely while in full speed transit under a plant leaf is a
remarkable sight. They're neat fish.
	Gary