Re: Daphnia

Tom wrote:

>Does anyone in the Northern California area know a place to collect daphnia?
>I've searched the ponds in my area and have had no success.

They are around, but the problem is finding places that fish don't get into,
or getting there early enough that the fish haven't eaten all of them.

They used to drain Lake Lagunita, on the Stanford Campus, every winter. I
think they still do. When it is first refilled in spring, there is a huge
daphnia bloom. A few weeks later, they are gone but the baby fish are fat.

Wright

- --

Wright Huntley (408) 248-5905 Santa Clara, CA USA huntley@ix.netcom.com