Re: Laetacara bonanza

On 5/28/97 2:53 PM, mengerin@cs.utexas.edu (mengerin@cs.utexas.edu) wrote:

>A. standachneri is one example of a fish that is quite washed out in
>the picture but nice in real life.

Absolutely. This is a gorgeous fish, but looks fairly plain in the L&S
photo.

>ps.  What do you do with those large spawns?

Generally I raise them. As time goes by, I auction some at local fish
groups, then when they're a reasonable size I take them to local dealers.
I may have saturated the local market for buckelkopf because the parents
are relentlessly productive. But I can find takers for the other species.
If necessary, I'll give some to people who need feeders, but I hate to do
that.

I have contacts with two wholesalers -- one local, one on the East Coast
- -- who will also take large lots of fish. The problem is finding space
and time to grow them out decently. Fortunately I have a fish room with
lots of tanks, but the present rate of spawning is outstripping my
capacity.