Re: colour foods

Carey wrote:

> Frauley/Elson wrote:
> > (SNIP)_
> >
> > PS - I have 2 week-old pucallpaensis fry! They sure do start out tiny...
> >
> > I too have pucallpensis.  Mine came wild-caught via Montreal, perhaps
> from the same source as yours.  I have yet to observe a spawn.  Could
> you please fill me in on any conditioning and water conditions which
> worked for you.  (I can handle small fry as I spawn/raise tetras.)  I
> have about 7 in a ten gallon tank--perhaps I need to split them out
> more.
>
> --Randy

Hi Randy, and all,
	I have a trio, wild-caught via down the road, in a 20 gallon. I like to
work with low densities - pairs and trios in 20 or 23 gallon tanks.
	The first, unsuccessful spawning was at pH 7.4, 140ppm tapwater. The
female was yellow, but just.
	I moved them to a planted 20 gallon with H amandae (fire tetras) and
"signal" tetras as dithers. It has an tiny power filter (AQ 150), sand
bottom, cryptocorynes and hornwort galore. Ph is around 6.0 with my
reagent kit, ppm at 50. I feed bloodworm, brine shrimp and a lot of
brine shrimp nauplii.
	Again, the female's coloration change wasn't strong. I was away when
the fry hatched out, and lost a few. I only have 15 fry. I've added peat
filtration to try again.
	They're small for cichlid fry, but big beside some killies or other
fish I've raised. There doesn't seem to be a problem. If you find a
trigger, you'll find them a breeze after what you've been raising.
	Gary