Re: Slightly Off Topic Question

Stuart....Boy a whole bunch of questions.  Blackworms...........someone check
me on this but they are a different worm from the old 'red tubifex'.  I'm not
too sure if it's OK to call them 'black tubifex' or not but a lot of people do
so.  In any case they about the same length as the reds, maybe a 'skooch'
longer, but maybe 20% thicker and blackish....if you put them next to a
red there is no doubt which is which.  I've been dealing with the red
variety since oh about 1968...........they are good food but they are in my
opinion trouble and haven't used them since the blacks came out.  The reds
very dirty and begin to break down,die, very quickly.  When the so called
'blacks' came out about 1980 (maybe earlier) people thought not much
better of them than the reds, but now more and more people are beginning
to learn how to handle these worms and the results, in my mind are just
super, fantastic for breeding.

Here's how I keep them.  If you make a fist......that's about how much I get
at a time.  I put them in a circular 'tupperware' bowl with no top that is
about 6-7" in diameter and maybe 6-7 inches tall.  I put enough tap water
in the bowl to just, just not quite cover the wiggling worms.  Through
experience I've found it important not to cover them completly...it just
doesn't last as long if you cover them with water.  Now, for the next 4-6
days I will take them out of the refrigerator and rinse them vigorously and
let them settle down....15-20 seconds.....maybe 3-4 times, lower the
water to just covering them and put them back in the fridge.......I'll do that
2-3 times a day.  There is NO SMELL....leave the top off.....the wife won't
mind after a bit.  After the 4-5-6 days when the water rinses as perfectly
clear then and only then do I feed them.  If you time your buying you will
always have some worms to feed..............now for the kicker.........how long
do they stay alive you ask???  Honestly I have keept them alive with NO
feeding of the worms of any sort for over a month, they don't die, I will
have fed them all to the fish......rinsing twice a day even after they are
clean.

Folks........I think that worms. of all sorts of kinds, are a staple of our
fishes.  I would bet more than a nickle that worms may be as much as
50-60% of fishes diets.  I can not remember a fish, except one that was all
but dead, that wouldn't come 'flying from the other side of the tank to fight
for a worm of any sort......white worms, micro-worm for fry, earth
worms, black worms.   BUT BE PATIENT UNTIL THEY"RE CLEAN!!!!

Stuart........people will get tired of me talking.......yes I meant a low of 4.8.
I've kept and spawned dwarfs on purpose at 4.5, and spawned discus on
purpose at 5.5, and do you want to spawn wild angels.............put their
water at pH-5.0-5.5 and virtually no hardness.

Prices for R.O. are about 1/2 of your price.....I understand your hesitancy,
But some of these dwarfs can be real 'buggers' and you'll not get any viable
fry without going to some of these extremes.

Sorry guys I get carried away!!!......Have a good 4th........even over there in
England......;-)

Mike