Re: Killies as dither fish -Reply

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, William Vannerson wrote:

> >>I have used Fundulopanchax gardneri ...<<
>
> Which?  As I said in an earlier post, I had a P-82 that was
> chasing the heck out of some young juli's.  I no longer have
> that strain but I do have GAR Masaje that I'm hoping to get
> some eggs from soon.

Mine are nigerianum - no locale information. I removed the adults and even
the bigger juveniles after the borelli spawned - I guess everything over
an inch or so.  Then LOTS of gardneri hatched in the tank to join the
remaining youngsters. The gardneri fry quickly outgrow the borelli fry,
but I've seen no ill effects. My gardneri are effective fry predators - I
don't get many gardneri fry in a natural setup - but they leave the
borelli adults alone and the adults manage to protect the fry pretty well.
I don't have misaje now, but I have had them and found them to be a bit
smaller and certainly no more agressive than the Fp. gar. nigerianum
strain I have now. Practically all the agression from the gardneri I see
in this two-species tank is intraspecific.

Donald Nute
Professor and Head, Department of Philosophy        (706) 542-2823
Director, Artificial Intelligence Center            (706) 542-0358
The University of Georgia                       FAX (706) 542-2839
Athens, Georgia  30602, U.S.A       http://ai.uga.edu/faculty/nute