FishNet Explore 97 - Diary - July 27, 1997

Diary - July 27, 1997

 Today was a day of rest - my final one before having to leave
the comforts of civilization and heading for the jungle.  I
moved to a new hotel where I was to meet Heiko and Paola
when they got in.  They weren't due until late in the evening,
so I had lots of time to enjoy the local attractions.

 The new hotel is an actual resort area right on the banks of
the Amazon River.  The Amazon at this point is still so wide
that it is about six or seven miles across, very impressive.
This is several times bigger than the Tennessee River, where I
live.  The hotel had a pool, a staff that spoke English, and a
real zoo nearby where I got some pictures of some of the
local parrots. I got some good pictures of the jaguars at the
zoo, too.

 I wanted to do the nighly conference right on the banks of the
Amazon to test the equipment and see how well it worked,
but I actually ended up doing it from the pool area, because
there were no lights near the river and it was hard to see.

 Heiko and Paola got in very late and it was a late night for all
of us talking and getting everything ready to leave the next
day for Tefe.  I was especially excited as Heiko told me he
had a spot in mind to do some "fishing" tomorrow!

 == John ==