Re: Snails

Snails help harden the water by leaching calcium from their shells, which
is undesirable for the many Apistos which love soft water. It's also
difficult to get rid of the smaller varieties without using chemicals
(copper, for instance) or snail-eating fish (loaches), which will also
eat fry.

I have snails in some tanks but I'd be happy if they disappeared. A
better method of algae control is light and nutrient reduction, the
latter accomplished by frequent water changes.

Pete Johnson  /  San Jose, CA  /  petej@wordsanddeeds.com