Re: !>>Note to Wright>>Note to R. Park

IDMiamiBob wrote:

>I don't need to read it.  If it says that Algae eaters won't eat the caudal
>fins off my apistos all the way to the peduncle overnight, it is bogus.

This statement is what we object to. Yes, there *are* unscrupulous shop owners
who sell Asiatic Scale Suckers under the phoney name "Chinese Algae Eater." To
condemn Otocinclus species and C. siamensis for the acts of those foul traders
is gross misinformation and does the hobby no good at all. Please stop
misinforming the members of this list about such topics. We will always object.

You claim you want good helpful info. You think you can get it from the horses
mouth, here. All we are asking is that *you* stop leaving trail droppings that
we end up having to clean up. That other end of the horse isn't doing newbies a
bit of good.

>don't care if it was written by God himself.  They will do it, and I have
>seen them do it, and I have received confirming testimony from others on this
>mailing list that they will do it.

I doubt that statement, too. Asiatic Scale Suckers, from India, BTW, sold as
"Chinese Algae Eaters" are *not* algae eaters in the first place -- even when
young. They suck the glass to get infusoria out of the algae. The algae is
usually unharmed by this. look closer. Who are the "they" you refer to? Algae
Eaters or ASS?

>I simply have chosen to go with snails,
>and have asked for help in locating some.  Like I said before, get some of
>your precious algae eaters and let me know how it works out.

I did that in an earlier posting. Works great, if I avoid the infamous ASS.

>Meanwhile, we
>all have the right to operate our tanks as we see fit.  That is why I live in
>America, so I can have that right.

I firmly believe you have that right, and no one is taking it away. Gomberg
(with whom I sometimes feud) and I are trying to protect the integrity of the
information available here. You, seemingly, are trying hard to destroy it with
deliberate misinformation.

Go with your snails. Fine. Please don't whine here when you discover them
sneaking up on the eggs and devouring them. They move so slowly that the mother
never suspects -- particularly at night when she is drowsy. I, personally, have
seen that happening to well-guarded egg masses. Not from TFH or AFM, but with my
own eyes. Sorry, but I can't give literature references on it. It was just my
personal experience. YMMV.

Snails should not be kept in the tank with *any* egg layers, IMO.

BTW, you didn't ask how to control your algae. Neither snails nor algae-eating
fish are the favored ways to do that. We didn't volunteer how, because that was
not your question. We didn't offer snails because we *knew* they would eat your
eggs.

We *all* have the right to discover new ways to slaughter our Apistos. The
function of this list is to share that so those who do *not* wish to kill them
have a small leg up. Pruning misinformation is one of the least-rewarding
aspects of that sharing. It would just be nice if we could do that with less
fuss and bother.

Thanks,

Wright

- --