Re: Dicrossus Filamentosus

Hi all,

Forgive me if I repeat myself - I think we talked about this earlier on the
list. I was able to get viable fry (16 survived) from one of two pairs kept
in a 15 gal tank at 78 degrees F with pH 5-5.5 using DI water + blackwater
extract and the occasional liter of tap water (a final conc. of <10-20 ppm,
depending on the hardness of the tap water).

I would change about 1/4 to 1/3 tank volume weekly. (Someone earlier
mentioned doing extreme water changes on these guys - I don't recommend it.
I know that my rams hated it - they got ick if I overdid it. I think you
have to balance clean water with stable conditions).

The tank was heavily planted and also contained driftwood that leached out a
significant quantity of tannins, etc. I found that if I turned off all lights
at night, the female would have "lost" her fry in the morning, but when I left
her a night light, she kept them under control. I tried to leave the fry
with Mom, and did so for about 2 weeks, but unfortunately the stress of
reproduction got her sick, so I removed her (and the others) from the tank.
>From other posts,
it sounds as if I actually lucked out, here.

I also fed the adults live brine, baby brine, and frozen bloodworms.

I kept 10 of the fry, and I know that I ended up with at least 2 males (I was
unsure of the effects of this low pH on the sex ratio. I tried to keep the
temp within a range that gives a balanced sex ratio for most apistos, too).

Lisa