Re: Books?

At 05:08 PM 9/3/97 -0700, Erik Olson wrote:
>On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Darrell Laney wrote:
>
>> What is considered to be the best book on Apistogrammas?
>
>Not really a matter of "best", most like "only" books. :)
>Here are the four main ones I know of:
>
>1. Linke and Staek, Dwarf Cichlids, Tetra Press.
>	Widely available, fairly accurate, good pictures
>
>2. Aqualog "South American Book"
>	Notso widely available, lots of pictures, some inaccuracies
>
>3. Koslowski
>	Out of print, older, detail on evolution to current complexes (?)
>	In German only, though Mike Wise has a translation (if you have
>	a real copy of the book)
>
>4. Schmettkamp
>	Out of print, in German only, Mike Wise has a translation (same as
>	Koslowski).  Older book, kind of like Linke and Staek.
>
>In addition, back issues of the Apistogram (if you can get them),
>occasional articles in Bartbunsche bulletin (ACA), PCCA's Journal, Cichlid
>News... I have heard rumors of an Uwe Romer book to be published sometime
>too.
>
>  - Erik
>
>---
>Erik Olson
>eriko@wrq.com

In the back of The Apisto-Gram (The Official Newsletter for the Apistogramma
Study Group) there is a page of 'Books for the Dwarf Cichlid Enthusiast'.
Here is the list it may help.

1.  The Cichlid Aquarium
        1985, Paul V. Loiselle, Tetra Press
2.  Dwarf Cichlids
        1988, Jorge vierke, T.F.H. Publications
3.  Complete Book of Dwarf Cichlids
        1989, Hans - Joachim Richter
4.  Amerikanische Cichliden 1
        Kleine Buntbarsche, 1984, Linke, Horst & Staeck, Tetra Verlag
5.  Die Zwergcichliden Sudamerikas
        1982, Schmettkamp, W., Landbuch - Verlag
6.  Die Buntbarsche Der Neuen Welt - Zwergcichliden
        1992, Koslowski
7.  The Optimum Aquarium
        1986, Horst & Kipper, AD aquadocumenta - Verlag
8.  The Cichlids of Surinam
        Kullander & Nijssen
9.  The Cichlid Aquarium
        Revised 1994, Dr. P.V. Loiselle, Tetra Press
10. Tetra's Popular Guide To Tropical Cichlids
        1994, David Sands, Dr. Paul Loiselle, Dr. Wayne Leibel, Tetra Press
11. The Biotope Aquarium
        1993, Rainer Stawikowski, T.F.H. Publications
12. African Cichlids I
        Cichlids From West Africa, 1994, Linke & Staeck, Tetra Press
13. African Cichlids II
        Cichlids From East Africa, 1994, Linke & Staeck, Tetra Press
14. Dwarf Cichlids
        1994, Tetra Press, Author unknown at this time.
15. South American Cichlids II
        1996, Ulrich Glaser Sen., Wolfgang Glaser, Verlag A.C.S. GmbH, 	Germany

I hope this helps a bit.

- - Kaycy