Fwd: Re: interbreeding

>I remember from my killie days that there are several species of
Aphyosemion
>whose various populations and subspecies were occasionally incompatible
as
>far as fertility, while other species in the genus were crossable with
>similar species.  Go figure.  Over time, isolated populations can
develop
>differences in chromosome count, or differences in gene arrangement on
the
>chromosomes.  How this happens, I don''t have a clue.  Maybe Dr. Uwe
can
>handle the technical part of this answer.
>  It does seem reasonable therefore that between different populations
of A.
>aggasizii, especially different color morphs from different major
areas,
>there can be some lack of fertililty in cross-spawning.  I guess the
best way
>to answer the question is to try it.  Please, though, if you do it,
remember
>that purity of strains is significantly important to the majority of
us.
>Bob Dixon

Some one on an earlier post mentioned that this is where the definition
of "species" comes into play.  The definition of species has appeared to
be a lot less clear-cut than my days in high school biology (long ago)
when it was than members of the same species can produce fertile
off-spring.  In recent years, I have heard that members of different
species can conceivable produce fertile offspring but maybe not carry
the fertility to the 2nd or 3rd generation (don't remember where I heard
this).  Anyway--does anybody know what is the currently accepted
definition of species?  We have been warned of cross-breeding
Apistogramma species, yet I have never seen one.

When Dr. Uwe Romer spoke in San Francisco, I asked him why the various
books on apistos did not list fin-ray counts, scale counts, gill-raker
counts, and intestinal lengths as Pierre Brichard did on his first book
on Lake Tanganyikan cichlids.  Dr. Romer thought that there was too much
overlap of those physical descriptions to provide very much value in
identifying apistos.  I think the answer to some of these questions may
be cleared up by DNA studies of the various apistos.  There are many
cases of parallel evolution where fish that were not closely related
appeared that they were close related--i.e. Paracyphrochromis and
Cyphrochromis (spelling?) genus of Lake Tanganyika. So if you see two
fish that look like Aggies, are they both aggies?