Anybody ever have this problem?

This one goes under the "It figures" column - let me know if you get this
too:

I bought a "pair" of A. trifasciata late last winter.  The "males" looked
marginal (as males, that is), but I took the chance anyways - sometimes you
see males with poor dorsal fin development, and besides, these "males" did
not have the normal black ventrals.  Anyways, as you may well imagine,
there was no spawning and eventually I concluded that these were both
females.  One died, the other has lived a very healthy life, sharing space
with an equally lonely female A. linkei.  As luck would have it, my local
store just brought in some new trifasciata last week (bless their hearts!),
and so I bought one of the two males in the tank (about 15 females, talk
about skewed sexes).  I popped him in the tank with the female(s), and he
was half-heartedly chased around by the female trifasciata for a few days.
 She also chased around the female linkei.  Eventually, they settled down a
bit, and I saw him around the tank, though the female was still more
dominant.  No spawning yet, kind of surprising.  She was fattening up
thought, which seemed a good sign.  Well, it appears that instead of
getting ready to spawn, she is contracting a good case of dropsey and thus
has little time left.  In fact, I went to the store again today to pick up
another female.

I have seen this all too often.  Add a spouse to a lonely heart candidate
(for apistos anyways), and very frequently, the lonely heart ends up
kicking the bucket and you are left with the opposite sex, again alone.
 And I must emphasize that I see this very often where the original tank
inhabitant is the more dominant (but not so aggressive as to cause real
fighting), which rules out the suggestion that they were picked on.  It
seems that the stress of the addition and/or the surge of hormones weakens
the fish and they contract disease.  It just seems strange to me that the
fish that SHOULD have the lower stress level (the original inhabitant) is
the one that dies.

Any similar stories out there?

Tom  (trying yet again with A. trifasciata)