Fwd: More on SAEs

Fits right in with problems identifying killifish that look alike as
Wright mentioned, fish that look like the same species but might not be
(like Aggies from different locales that might not mate). How do you
define species versus sub-species.  To people hwo do not raise fish, an
otocinclus may  look like a Siamese Algae eater.  One fish store owner
that has been around for a long time regales me with stories of all the
different types of "weird" fish that used to come in when the hobby was
a lot less sophisticated and the hobbyists didn't know the difference.
There were at least three types of fish coming in as red devils.  The
failure of the hobbyists to note the differences caused the three
different species to be cross-bred so domestic strains are suspect as to
what their actual blood lines were (read in some Tropical Fish Magazine
many years ago).  There are numerous examples of fish that were new
science being initially imported as an already known species.  I believe
that this has been happening with apistos for a long time.