A. regani, Mystery Apistos, Dave Soares, etc

Hi,

Kathy & I just got back Sunday from the Club Snail "get-together" with Uwe
Romer (visiting from Germany), Dave Soares, a couple of German guys who
came with them, and a bunch of drunk Portlanders.  Much interesting
information imparted during this "meeting".

1. We showed Uwe our "mystery apisto" slides, and he agrees with Tom Mroz
about them being a male "Breitbinden" and a PAIR (!) of "Four stripes".
Uwe says they often ship together as contaminents.
I've got updates on the page (including my two nice slides which finally
came back from the photo-CD transfer), but my computer is not answering
the phone so I can't get the page downloaded to Caltech.  Check there
tomorrow if you're interested:
www.cco.caltech.edu/~aquaria/Krib/Apisto/Mystery/

2. Both Uwe and Dave hinted that the fish Anchor Bay Aquarium are selling
as "A. regani" are probably not actually A. regani, and may instead be A.
inconspicua (spelling mistake probably mine).  They apparently bought
quite a few of them from their last "batch" in 1996.

3. Dave Soares will be in Seattle at our club's October 14 meeting; any
in-towners or visiting out-of-towners are invited as always to attend.
It'll be at 7:30 PM at the Seattle Aquarium.

We were both pretty jazzed at partying with the luminaries... imagine our
surprise when coming home to find two more of our new Apistos spawning: A.
norberti AND A. borelli!  The water in our new home is something else;
comes out of the tap with <10ppm hardness.  In all the non-treated tanks,
the pH is between 4.5 and 5.5.  Add to that we've finally started feeding
daphnia along with the flake and baby brine.

Finally a request: Has anyone seen Kathy's Apisto ID article on the web
somewhere?  Uwe Romer swears he downloaded it, and if so I'd like to get
in touch with the <ahem> person who put it up.  Thanks.

  - Erik

- ---
Erik Olson
eriko at wrq.com