Fwd: Re: Nutrition

Kaycy--I there's never enough information available in the aquarium
hobby and there's always something new. Feeding baby brine shrimp was a
new and wild idea also at some point in time--I just read in one of the
major aquarium magazines that some Norwegian guy first suggested the
idea in, I think, 1938.

One of the reasons that I posted the information is there was a recent
post where someone asked about alternative foods to  baby brine shrimp
for fry.  There were also questions about other prepared foods, probably
because of convenience, but which ones are good.

One of the things that I enjoy about the aquarium hobby is the
experimentation with different parameters--exploring new frontiers.
Darren apparently is somewhat of an explorer after my own heart.  he
mentioned in an earlier post of a book by Moe (I think) in which he used
knowledge he acquired on a salt water topic and applied it to general
fish-keeping.  I think there's much to be learned from related topics
where perhaps there are more resources doing studies than the few apisto
people that we know of.

An example of what you can do with enough interest in apistos is Uwe
Romer's studies on sex ratios of apistos at various ph and temperature
comibnattions. I'm totally impressed with the resources that Uwe Romer
must have had to do his study.  I don't know if most of the readers of
this forum have seen the table, but it involves enough varieties of
apistos and combinations of ph and temperature variation to have taken
quite a few years, if not a life-time to accomplish in the US.  What Uwe
Romer accomplished in Germany is something which we apisto hobbyists in
the United States would found extremely difficult because of the
relative scarcity of apisto hobbyists and the resulting unavailability
of most of the apisto species. Thus, we sometimes find out what works
with apistos by reading news articles on related topics and experimen by
applying them to apistos.

By the way--the article in TFH does point out that the results were from
only one type of catfish. The results with other types of fish may be
totally irrelevant.