Various

OK, I put a bit of Scotch in the glass and I'm ready.  I got in this to
read what other people wrote but I have a very big, dumb mouth, can't
keep it shut,  and just have to jump in. (sip sip)  So here goes.

I just read something I really liked: "I keep the fry with the parents.
If they eat the eggs consistently I may raise some artificially but then
I look for better parents that care for their young".  Why do most of
you have fish at all.  For me if I can't watch the parents (both of
them) guard and herd their young, I do not want them.  If I had to
artificially mess with the young, I just wouldn't do it.  I do not wish
to play God.  (sip sip) One point here is that if your parents eat the
young, you have poor conditions.  Experiment.  If papa can't get along
with mama, you probably should get a bigger tank or guppies.  Give the
parents better food and conditions and they will stop killing the young
and each other.  I have read enough to know there are lots of you who
agree with me.

Not through yet. (sip sip - Neat Glenlivet too)  Someone said that the
fish would not release hormones or the like to inhibit the growth of
their own species.  Try to convince a Discus expert of this.  The
evidence may be anecdotal, but there is enough of it to be pretty
convincing.  Put big Discus in with small Discus, and long term you will
continue to have large Discus and small Discus.  Apistos are more than
likely similar in this respect.  So, even after what I said, eventually
you have to get the young away from Mom and Dad.  How long do you think
they would stay together in nature?  Guess that should be your guide.
(sip sip)

Now if you are still reading I have another one that relates to what I
have read today.  When I was young (long time ago) I remember a pet
store of some fame in suburban Illinois called Black Angel Haven.  This
guy was pretty inovative and did some breeding on his own.  Once he
expanded and had much floor space.  He put a huge above ground swimming
pool in the middle of his shop.  At least twenty feet across and four
feet deep.  He put young Angels, sword tails, and some other fairly
peaceful fish in it.  He kept it very lightly stocked and fed them
well.  He also did huge water changes.  I went there at least once a
week for ages.  Those fish grew like you would not believe.  Why?  From
what I have read some of you think you know, but those were the largest
fish of their types I have ever seen.  Even after he removed them to
tanks and sold them they seemed healthier as well as bigger.  Any
opinions?

One more.  The harder, and usually more alkaline water for the fry.
Think about the environment where our fish live.  They generally breed
in the rainy season,  More rain (checked the Ph and hardness of your
rain lately?) more acid and softness.  flood the land and pull in the
humic acid.  Breed in it and the dry season comes.  less of that humic
acid comming in.  Evaporation making the water harder and maybe not so
acid.  Sound reasonable.  The babies have to adapt to it.  Maybe after
awhile it becomes part of their nature?  This cycle of nature explains
more things, especially about the "white water" Apistos but you are
definitely tired of me by now.  What do you think?  Must be the Scotch,
right?  You open it to the public and see what you get.

Enough I'll shut up.