Re: S. Am. dwarf cichlid setup

I can offer a suggestion on Question #1
Mark Peters writes:
<<
 1.  I am not sure about my best filtration choice.  Obviously good
filtration
     is important but I also have to take into consideration that the planted
     tank will require fairly low water movement, to both maximize CO2
content
     and to maintain a natural still water environment.  What filters
     have you used successfully in similar situations?

I recently went from a power filter to a home-made, reverse-flow undergravel
filter in my 30 gallon.  I used an egg-crate light cover for suspended
(drop-type) cielings.  I cut it to fit the bottom by breaking it in a line
with needle nose pliers.  I glued marbles under it for legs to keep it off
the bottom.  I covered it with plastic canvas from a craft store to keep the
gravel from falling through.  I then devised a three tube intake for each
side,using one inch tubing from a pet shop. One tube is glued to a hole in
the corner of the filter plate.  At the top of this, I put a 3/ inch PVC
street elbow.  I plugged the skinny end of the street elbow into a 3/4 inch
tee.  A second piece of tubing then runs down to another street elbow that
rests on top of the filter plate.  The street elbow is mounted to a regular
elbow, which has a thrid tube stuck in it.  (Boy, I wish I had graphics in
email!!)  this tube runs to the top, where it is capped with one of those
fish guard screens that normally comes with power filters for their uptake
tubes.  I found these available in a large pet chain store.  By placing an
airline, and a stone if you're so inclined, down through the Tee to the
bottom of the middle tube, you can get up to 100 gallons per hour combined
(50 in each tube) without the water bubbling up and over the top of the tee.
 I timed how long it took for a drop of methylene blue to travel from the top
to the bottom of the intake tube on each side, then calculated volumes and
then flow rates to detirmine my actual movement of water through the tubes.
 I am running approximately 80 gallons per hour.  The detritus doesn't clog
up the upper layer of the gravel, and the surface is as calm as any tank I
have seen.  Also, since I am drawing off the top, it tends to remove shrimp
egg shells and that thin layer of "slime" that sometimes builds up on the
surface of a still tank.

Bob Dixon