S. Am. dwarf cichlid setup

I am about to set up my very first cichlid aquarium.  I have read a
number of books and articles but still am not clear on a few issues.

The tank I am planning will be about 50 gallons, with dense vegetation
and hopefully a mixture of some dwarf S. Am. cichlids, tetras, corys etc.

1.  I am not sure about my best filtration choice.  Obviously good filtration
    is important but I also have to take into consideration that the planted
    tank will require fairly low water movement, to both maximize CO2 content
    and to maintain a natural still water environment.  What filters
    have you used successfully in similar situations?

2.  In all my reading about cichlids and their territorialism, I have not
    seen anything except vague hints about just how large these territories
    tend to be in an aquarium setting.  In other words, how many are
    reasonable in a 36" x 18" tank?  Any handy rules of thumb?

3.  As this is my first adventure into the cichlid world, any helpful
    hints about species choices would be greatfully accepted.

4.  Anyone know any good S. Am. cichlid sources in the Toronto area?  The
    places I have checked so far are pretty limited.

Mark Peters (peters@swi.com)
Toronto, CANADA