Re: 'emerald' & 'red lob xingu'

Mike Jacobs wrote:

> Randy.........gotcha this time!!!.....:-)  No way is the Xingu red lobed
> a gephyra........I've had 'geprhrya' and these aren't even close to
> that.  Just kidding Randy..........your Id's are normally right on but
> this time not.........

That's right, Mike!!!
I think Randy's confusion came from the fact that both the 'aff.
gephyra' (aff. = affinis) and 'red lobed Xingu' are sympatric in Rio
Xingu, I've collected both at same spot. So added the 'Xingu'
termination to both species, for locality designation.

> Tell you what....the Xingu Red-Lobed I now have
> look VERY much like the A. "Smaraged" on Soares' page.......those photos
> were taken by me and I apologize for the quality but so be it (I'm just
> learning that hobby).....but those were fish (Smaraged) D. Soares gave
> me about a year ago when he visited us here in Florida...they got big
> and spawned.  My Xingu I just got about 2 months ago and they REALLY
> look like the Smaraged.......very minor differences

Mike, be careful!
I brought both 'red lobed Xingu' and 'emerald' to ACA convention, is
there any possibility that anyone mislabed those species to you?
Bcs they are easily distinguishable through color pattern!
(and my source of A. 'emerald' was same as Roemer's, pls check my e-mail
to Ken, first one)

.....but not like the
> 'aggie'-like gephyra.......

Right, about this. Have you seen any photo of the real A. pulchra? A
friend of mine (O. Lucanus) recently publish a photo of a true A.
pulchra we've sent him in TFH (July 1997, page 28) [by the way, the fish
in Lucanus photo was collected at the same place a fish Kullander
confirmed as A. pulchra after his identification].
J. Melgar thinks A. pulchra is also related to A. aff. gephyra Xingu,
and I think he is right, too.

All the best, Marco.