Re: Shrimp eggs- Now a problem

>Besides, no matter how careful you are, a few shells still get into the tank.

True, but after several dozen pounds of cysts being hatched and fed to
hundreds of thousands of fry, Kaycy & I have not found the odd unhatched
cyst or empty shell to be a serious problem. On the other hand, if you're
having ALL the empty shells and ALL the unhatched cysts mixed in with the
newly hatched nauplii, then it would be a good idea to only use
deencapsulated cysts.

>Hey, here's an idea- do you suppose a short time in one of those food
>dehydraters they sell on the info-mercials would do the trick of drying them?
> Or does it get too hot in there?

I have no idea to tell you the truth. I have seen in stores, from time to
time, small quantities of dencapsulated cysts for hatching purposes, but at
a rather hefty premium. Or, you could have your sixth grader dencapsulate
the cysts before hatching them for you. The only other good solution I see
in your situation would be to switch to a different food, either one of the
powders (including the non-hatchable dencapsulated cysts I mentioned the
other day) or else a different live food (such as gamarous or microworms). I
suppose you could always try to get a more dedicated assistant or do the
work yourself, but I was trying to be just a bit realistic. <gryn>

- -- dj