Fwd: Diff. between pertensis and meinkeni-females

>Hi all
>
>I had the fortune (some might say unfortune) to get
>both Ap. pertensis and Ap. meinkeni-males when I bought
>two pairs of a pertensis-like species from the importer.
>The only female died immediately after transport so I
>don't know which species she was. It also took me quite
>some time to realize that the two smaller males I had
>weren't pertensis but meinkeni instead. I have been
>promised to pick out my own females (for both species)
>from the importer.
>
>So my question is, having seen very few good photos of
>females of both these species, if any of you guys know
>something that can help, a certain difference (caudal
>spot, lateral band, dorsal fin, markings on gill or
>abdomen, anything?) between the females even if both
>aren't at hand (the importer may only have one of the
>two species).
>
>Fredrik Ljungberg

Fredrik--I had a high finned pertense-like apisto a while back that I
was trying to identify.  In the Linke and Steack book, I believe that
it's stated that one of the differences between pertense and meinkeini
is the shape of the caudal spot.  The pertense has a squarish caudal
spot whereas the meinkeini has a round to oval shaped spot.