Re: Books?

On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, John Pittman wrote:

> (8 setups in all). Stawikowski talks about using beech leaves as a covering
> over the substrate in one of the river edge tanks - has anyone out there
> tried this?

It's unusual for us (because we keep live plants in most of the tanks),
but we used dried oak leaves in our first Apistogramma tank.  We boiled
them for 15 or more minutes and then soaked them overnight.  They really
give the tank a classy appearance, actually.  And the fry do have places
to hide underneath.  And allegedly the tannins can lower the water (though
we found the oak leaves to be more or less inert).

Your post just reminded me it's about time to do some new leaves.
Eventually the old ones start to decay and break down...

   - Erik

- ---
Erik D. Olson					         amazingly, at home
eriko@wrq.com