Re: Apistogramma sp TUCURUI.

Pete Johnson wrote:

> On 10/13/97 1:10 AM, Ken Laidlaw wrote:
>
> >There is a slight chance that I may be fortunate to obtain
> >some of these fish.  If anyone has any advice on
> >keeping/breeding I would be very grateful if they could
> >mail the list.
>
> I've tried twice with this pretty fish and in each case the group has
> died off within weeks of arrival, except for one male, which is doing
> fine six months later. I'm not sure what's gone wrong with the other
> Tucurui, but others who have gotten them from the same source have also
> had trouble keeping them alive, and I've heard no reports of breeding.
>
> I've read and heard that this is an easy fish to breed, but David Soares,
> who's supplied me with them from Germany, notes that he has only seen
> wild fish over there, not F1 or later.

My two cents is to back up Pete with one added observation: the ones I
had were nasty business. They seemed prone to quick bacterial die-offs,
but next to A payamonensis, they were also the roughest apistos I've
seen. I thought the adjustment to captivity was made worse by the stress
their fighting caused. Neat looking fish though.
- -Gary