Re: Newbie Questions

In a message dated 97-10-27 23:21:55 EST, Heather writes:

<< Tank 1                        Tank 2
> 20 gal. (Canadian)        20 gal. (Canadian)
> KH 4                           KH 6
> GH 6                           GH 7
> PH 7                           PH 7.6
> Temp. 78                    Temp. 78
> live & plastic plants      live plants
>
> I do 20-30% water changes and light gravel vaccuuming once a week.
>
> Tank 1 has a very large piece of driftwood.  I have just added a couple of
pieces to >Tank 2.  I prefer not to be messing around with chemical solutions
to change my >water parameters.  I would like to keep a. ramirezi, a.
agassizi or a. caucatoid (?) >but I'm flexible if my Ph and hardnesss are
hopeless.  Any and all suggestions >welcome.  Thanks.

Hi, Heather:
    Welcome to the mania.
    Your water parameters aren't totally hopeless.  However, I recommend (you
will find we all have our own theories about this stuff) that you treat it by
using an RO or DI unit to reduce your GH, or buy a product by Mardel called Ta
nk Soft.  You can cut your hardness in half real easy with either of these
approaches.  I would also lose the plastic plants and include floating
plants.  10% changes each week should be adequate unless you are heavily
stocked.
    Just for the record, ramirezi aren't Apistos.  A. agassizi and A.
cacatuoides are good choices, and there are also a number of regularly
available Apistos you should have no problem.

Good luck
Bob Dixon