Re: Under ground filter or not?

In a message dated 97-10-28 08:06:20 EST, Robert Marshall says:

<< Should I install an under ground filter.  Lots of opinions about no but
> no reasons why. Leaning towards get one so tell me your experiences.
> yes or no.  If no what filters should I use in addition to my Fluval 4 -
> tank is a 50 gal.  Sand, which I like, or gravel.  If I don't use a UGF
> I am going to insert a layer of peat moss. >>

    I use undergravel filters regularly.  The only problems I have seen is
that the fish-pooh tends to build up in the gravel.  This is good for plants,
as it provides an excellent substrate after enough of the detritius collects.
 I recently solved this problem in a 30 gallon I was redoing.  I built a
reverse-flow, air-powered UGF from scratch materials.  The gravel stays
clean, there is enough media for an adequate nitrogen cycle, and the current
is very minimal, even though it skims the surface  AND is moving water at a
pace of 70 gallons per hour.
    Years ago I had a 55 with a peat moss pad between the filter and the
gravel.  IT worked well, but I ended up putting a box filter full of charcoal
in one corner to keep the discoloration down.
    In the early eighties, an undergravel filter with a very slow flow rate
was the filter of choice for most members of the Apistogramma Study Group.
    Lots of people who are into aquatic plants don't like the UGF, but they
use a number of thick soil-like substrates, which keep the filter from
getting an adequate flow.
    The only down side I see to UGF's is that you don't get to spend time and
money on replacing filter media and futzing with getting it to work just the
way you want( for those who love excuses to spend money and unneeded time on
their tanks- that's not me).  And once in a while, like every three ore four
years, you need to take the tank down and clean the gravel, or simply get one
of those siphon-vacuum cleaner things that lets you suck the dirt out while
you're doing your water changes.

Good luck,
Bob