Re: Under ground filter or not?

I'll add my 2 cents to the filter issue.  I agree that UGFs tend to suck
down too much poo and possibly fry if they're "normal"  flow.  If they're
reverse flow, then I'd want some form of pre-filtering like a sponge, so I
might as well just stick with the sponge only.

Bob Dixon, could you give a more detailed description of your DIY
air-driven reverse UGF... I am interested in how this works, since I've
only ever encountered powerhead-driven RUGFs.

One problem for us using UGFs is we usually have very little (or no)
gravel in our apisto breeding tanks, so it'd hardly suffice for the filter
bed.  We end up keeping all the plants either a) tied to bogwood pieces,
b) potted, or c) floating. :)  We end up using Hydro sponge filters or in
a pinch, a corner box filter.  We like the sponges because about the only
thing we spend money on is new airstones once a year (optional).

We heard Wayne Leibel talk a few weeks ago, and he swears by box filters,
saying they're the easiest thing to clean. Personally, they're annoying
because it's more of a pain to pull out & replace the dacron (as opposed
to squeezing out the sponge in the old tank water).  But box filters can
be nice for layering in peat or other additives.  Different strokes...

  - Erik

- ---
Erik Olson
eriko at wrq.com