Re: NEED ADDRESS.

George Richter wrote:

> <snip> Two -  under ground/gravel filters.  My thought is that if you really
> want a
> sewer in your tank, go for it.  I have to admit I tried them but do not
> like them.  I have had baby fish trapped by them years ago.  My fish dug
> through the gravel.  Stay away from under gravel.  Use some sort of
> sponges, even in big tanks if you like.  What's the rest of us think on
> this one?

I'll be different on this one.  I used to use mostly bare tanks with box or
sponge filters.  However, I noticed healthier behavior in the tanks with
undergravel filters.  (Realize I'm talking of all kinds of fish, not just
cichlids.)   Besides, a tank with a substrate looks better.  I think the fish
feel more secure with gravel, plants, and rocks.

Since, I have shifted much more to UG.  For my 20-longs, I use one filter with
gravel on one side, and often little or none on the other side (works well for
feeding black worms and pouring water).  Since I have valves on all of my
airlines, the airflow is gentle.

Many Apisto's will spawn in the gravel-tanks.  Since I supply PVC for Apisto
spawning sites, the fry don't get sucked into the gravel.  They are led out when
they are free swimming.  I also use bare bottomed ten-gallons for breeding
(Apistos, tetras, barbs).  Apisto's are easy so they get just pvc tubes, a box or
sponge filter, and maybe some Java Fern or Java Moss.  The tetras and barbs
require a more elaborate set up (spawning screen, et. al.).

The advantage of a box filter is that I can add carbon and replace floss as
needed, but these tend to filter from the top.  So I use both without a
preference, unless I need to use carbon.

- --Randy