Re: Hydro sponges? Newbie

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Robert Marshall wrote:

> What the hell are Hydro sponges?  We don't get many new ideas in
> Newfoundland and the products available are limited - hagen.

It's made by a company called Lustar I think, and sold mostly mailorder
(MOPS and Daleco have them; check www.dalecombp.com for a picture in their
online catalog). They're real nice because they're real simple.  A
weighted base, a big cylindrical sponge, and a clear tube.  And they're
cheap, starting at $5.  Each piece can be individually replaced.

> Will a layer of peat soil below an 1.5 inches of sand turn the water tea
> colored.  Is this setup good for growing plants.  And Finally is two 30
> in flores. tube enought to grow plat in a 36" by 16" by 20"Tall tank.

Peat is not ideal for growing plants, because it doesn't really have any
nutrients, just tannins.  Peat will definitely turn the water tea colored
if you're using an UGF.  Possibly not if otherwise buried under enough
gravel.  You can grow many plants with two bulbs that stretch the length
of your tank as you describe, definitely all the "low light" ones and
probably most of the "medium" types.

  - Erik

- ---
Erik Olson