Shorelines vs. open water

This question is aimed at folks like Marco Lacerda, who have had the
priveledge of collecting a number of Apistos in their native habitats.
I have always assumed because of their size and demeanor that most species of
Apistos prefer and tend to inhabit lakeshores and riverbanks, rather than the
open water areas in the middle.  It is only in the last few days that I have
realized that it is indeed an assumption.  Can anyone confirm or deny this
idea?  It seems to me that this information could influence our "tank decor"
and help our charges to overcome their shyness.

Bob Dixon