Fwd: RE: Newbie Questions -Reply

>I use plastic plants and with some Watesprite.
>
>IMHO keeping healthy plants in a tank can be as challenging
>as keeping fish.  They need attention and care too.  So I
>decided to concentrate on the fish first then work into plants if
>I feel up to it. (Also , I have a *brown* thumb).
>
>The Watersprite is a recent addition that I decided to try
>because I was told that it's VERY easy to maintain.  So far,
>that's proven accurate.
>
>Anyway, the point is do what feels comfortable for you.  There
>are advantages to having live plants in a tank but they do
>require some time and energy.  Don't feel compelled to take
>on too much at one time if you're not comfortable with the
>idea.  It's your hobby... enjoy it.

As another person with a brown thumb I agree with Bill.  Although
"tacky" in the eyes of some, I have come to realize that tropical fish
hobbyists come in all flavors and the variety, although weird to some,
should probably be encouraged.  The design that you choose for your
aquarium(s) can be almost an artform, varying from very natural to very
unnatural.  It's all interesting to some, and beauty is in the eye of
the beholder.  There is a market for purple and flourescent yellow
aquarium plants, bubbling skeletons, etc.  To many, the aquarium is a
part of the decoration in a major room of their houses.