water question

Hi all,
	I've been pondering a water question, and I thought maybe Wright or
another list member with water chemistry knowledge could help.
	My source of soft water has temporarily dried up. As I did changes last
night, I increased the hardness of a few 'soft' tanks.
	One was a 23 gallon that had housed mouthbrooding bettas. When it was
due for a change, the bettas spawned. I left only one male while he
brooded. He was very lightly fed (they seem to eat while
mouthbrooding...). The tank has good filtration, a carpet of crypts on
the bottom and riccia and hornwort floating.
	It seemed a shame to harden it before moving apistos into it. Would
such a small closed system, with lots of plants and one smallish fish
(alone for 2 weeks) to 'feed' the filtration have been able to bounce
back, on the short term of course, from its fully stocked level of
pollution? Or would it 'stabilize' at an unacceptable level of
pollution?
	It's an idle question, I suppose, but I've never asked it before!
- -Gary