RE: pseudocrenilabrus

I have kept mouthbrooding dwarfs yet but I have recently had the opportunity
to watch my Assatatilapia Caliptera carry her first brood to free swimming
size...but not before I ran out of patience and stripped her.
She carried the eggs/fry for about a week and a half before I decided to do
anything with her.  Her chin began to get very dark as the fry developed on
the inside.  Being impatient as I am, I decided to try rearing the fry myself
to I could start her on another batch.  I stripped the fry and put them in a
floating separation chamber.
While the fry were seperated I took the opportunity to feed the mother.  After
she fed there was a lone fry that had made it out and I watched her pick it
up.  She the when up to the rest of the fry and tried to pick them up through
the plastic.  Since she had fed and seemed interested in gettnig her babies
back, and since I felt a little guilty, I put the fry back into the tank and
she immediately started to gather them up once again.  Two days later she
started to let them out on her own.  The dozen or so fry are taking powdered
flake food and doing quite well.
Next time I think I'll just wait and not traumatize my poor fish.
Good Luck!
Rick
r_gomes@msn.com